Legal Blog, News & Resources

Disability symbol

What is Permanent Partial Disability and Who Qualifies?

If you have been injured while at work, it is important to understand your options. Permanent partial disability, or what NH workers compensation law calls “permanent impairment”, was created to supplement the lost wages of someone who was permanently injured while on the job. Every state has different policies to protect its workers, so we will review permanent partial disability in New Hampshire, or permanent impairment, and what qualifies as a permanent disability.

What is Permanent Impairment Disability 
A permanent partial disability is a permanent injury that has been sustained, such as the loss of a limb or hearing loss. This type of injury is not something that a worker will ever fully recover from, but it also does not fully incapacitate the worker. Workers who have sustained this type of injury on the job are entitled to compensation for sustaining such an injury and it is typically paid in one payment.

In New Hampshire, workers who have sustained a permanent injury may be eligible for a Permanent Impairment Award in addition to their weekly disability benefits. According to the New Hampshire Department of Labor, The Permanent Impairment Award is an award for the percentage of permanent loss of use to a compensable body part.  A medical doctor will evaluate the injured worker and recommend the percentage of disability, that percentage is then calculated under a formulae in the NH Workers Compensation Act to come to a set dollar amount. The NH Department of Labor then approves the rating and payment by the insurance company is then ordered.

Who Qualifies for Permanent Partial Disability?
Anyone who has sustained a permanent injury while at work, and has reported the injury following the guidelines set by the New Hampshire Department of Labor may qualify for Permanent Partial Disability. Navigating this process can be complicated and confusing. Many insurance companies try to avoid paying compensation owed to an injured worker. Seufert Law can help. If you were injured while at work, contact our offices today. We will walk you through the process and fight for your right to compensation after a work-place injury.  Call 603-934-9837 to get started.